Thursday, August 18, 2011

Red Group...Swag!!

I started this blog off by describing an activity done as a way to introduce people together at one of the most important places in my life, Camp Bravo. This place has been apart of my life for 12 years, yes literally half of my life. But more than that- this place has made me the person that I am today. Without it, who knows what would have happened to that shy 11 year old.



There is nothing out there that is like this place. And thank goodness for that because a person really should only have one refuge from the world. This place is mine. I went "up the mountain" as we call it summer from 6th to 7th grade for the first time. Nothing will ever be like it. I realize I'm saying the same things over and over without actually saying anything and that's because this place is not an experience that can be explained.

For 7 amazing years I was able to go up to this place of wonderment and forget about the day to day life. I was a camper then and had some of the most wonderful minds and talents to pick and take direction from. These staff members, along with David and Artur, the directors, shaped me. They taught me lessons in life that far exceeded that of an acting camp. The campers I met helped create the personality that I have developed. And many are still in my life so many years later.

And then the day came when I "aged out", when I was too old to be a camper. It was a bittersweet year because I had to race to UCR cheer camp and missed out on so many final moments. But there was salvation.

I don't know if I'll ever forget the shout I let loose that day freshman year when I had an email asking me to join the counseling staff. Let's just say I might have more than slightly scared Mike and his roomies.

Now, 5 years later I am without a doubt who I am because of my experiences as a counselor. The responsbility, and the fun that has come with the position are completely life changing. But more important is the relationships. Five years later I still talk with the first people I counciled with, still seek advice when I need it from the instructing staff.

Every year I come "down the mountain" with a fresh set of memories and a new love for my true sanctuary in this world thus far. Those people, that place, have been around for me when I have needed help more than anything.

So while this is a catch up post this really wasn't. So I guess briefly I will list some of the best moments of the week:
-Gleek staff collage
-doing Hairspray a la Rocky Horror Style
-watching my campers do their projects in each workshop
-killing spiders with sunscreen
-late nights in Craig's
-talking with my girls
-RED GROUP...SWAG!

There is nothing I can do but post a video and allow you all a glimpse into the craziness and wonderousness that is life of the mountain.

Bravo Swag

While texting one of the most amazing people ever tonight, the Shakespeare instructor Sarah, she jokingly said she missed Bravo a little and I laughed...missing Bravo a little after only being done for 2 weeks is nothing, like a blip. When the Glee staff collage video was loaded at 1am today I snuck into the bathroom and watched it which led to me having to review everyone of my 300+ photos. Which reminded me I needed to write this. So here it is everyone, a sanctuary for many of us and a family to us all.

No comments:

Post a Comment